9.18.2008

Let it all hang out

I initially found it quite interesting that I don't have a dryer. It seems like dryers aren't very popular here, and to dry your clothes you hang them up on a laundry rack that hangs from the ceiling. Mine just so happens to be right in front of a huge window, so the whole neighborhood knows when it's underwear day.

But the real reason for this post is that I feel the need to confess. In retrospect, there have been a couple of rather odd events involving my washing machine - both in what HAS happened, and what HAS NOT happened:

HAS: Recently, I washed a book. Yep - I don't know how, but I put a NOVEL in with my dirty clothes and it was obliterated. I am currently washing the clothes that were in that load for the third time now, trying to get the paper fibers off. Who knew books were so sticky?

HAS NOT: I came to Korea last February with exactly 10 dress shirts for work, and 3 pairs of slacks that I routinely wear. And I haven't washed any of them since I've been here (that's 7 months, if you're counting). It may seem gross, but I justify it with the fact that, a) I wear undershirts, and b) I am trying to conserve water. Is saving the world by consuming less water disgusting? I think not.

In the end it's a nice balance - I don't have a dryer, but that's OK because I obviously don't do much washing anyway. Korea and I are getting along just great...

No comments: