10.11.2008

Diving is apparently all I do anymore...

Well, I finally made it out to Jeju Island to SCUBA with Big Blue 33! I am, at this moment, sitting in the lobby of my hostel taking advantage of the free wi-fi after sleeping through the dinner plans I had made with a few of the guys I went diving with this weekend. Ha, figures. Kimbap for dinner it is (:


View of Mount Halla from our dive site

This weekend really was great. I got to see so much marine life! Yesterday on our first dive I didn't take my camera, thinking I would get a feel for the site and take pictures on our second dive. And get this - we saw a freaking SHARK! Ralf, our dive leader, has been diving here on Jeju for 13 YEARS and has only seen a shark ONCE before! He said it happened to be the same kind of shark, in about the same spot, at about the same time of year - 5 years ago. The shark didn't stick around for long, though - my partner didn't know it was behind him and accidently kicked it in the head. Quite comical, though, if you think about it... how many people can say they kicked a shark in the face??? (Don't worry, it wasn't a hard kick... the shark was fine...)

I also got to see quite a few lion fish, a frog fish, other types of topical reef fish, and a bunch of soft coral. It was beautiful. Although my pictures aren't the best, I'm uploading my favorites as a backup to my hard drive anyway - so if you'd like to check them out click here. They're good enough to get an idea of what it's like underwater!

Anyway, the mosquitos are relentless here so I'm going to go take refuge. This week we start back at school. Which gives me what I call the heart-sinky feeling at first, but that quickly changes to excitement when I realize that I only have SIX MORE WEEKS OF TEACHING LEFT!!!!!!!! That excites me... so. much.

TOO-DA-LOO!

No comments: